Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day 3


This is the view of Green River, UT that Kew and I encountered on our walk this morning. Wait, it gets better!

This is one fat river!

Kewpie and I found a spot by the museum to wander around.

We thought you'd be able to tell how fat the river is- all those trees used to be on the ground; not under water.

SheNayNay wanted to smell Gosh's boots; better her than me!

We are cute! You shoulda seen us using the "restroom" in the ditch behind the sign.

Setting up camp in Gunnison, CO.

Today was a pretty mellow day- only a little over 200 miles. We did not need to set an alarm; we were up at about 6:30am. Gosh fixed coffee and Kew and I hit the road. We found a farm road that led us to all kinds of equipment, animal smells and coils of cable that contained copper and would have been pilfered had it been in the Reno area. 

We had breakfast packed but when the KOA guy told us there was a continental breakfast being served in the lodge, we took advantage of the muffins and hard-boiled eggs or lunch. PERFECT!

We loaded up and went really far- across the street to the museum in search of the perfect gift from Utah for my sister's wedding. We found it! And somehow it fits on the bike, though Gosh jokes I'll need a trailer before this trip is done. I figure it's like the Jewish proverb where the guy feels overcrowded and his rabbi tells him to keep inviting more being into his space; when the rabbi finally tells him to let all the beings go, the house feels empty. I am hoping that all the extra baggage lightens me up once we reach our destination.

Seriously, we headed out in earnest and it never really felt like it was a serious ride. We stopped in Grand Junction, CO, twice- I needed serious allergy eyedrops that couldn't be found at the truck stop. We cruised to Montrose where we were supposed to stop at Harley but then Gosh said he wasn't really feeling it. (Thanks, Gosh- I woulda drank my strawberry milk at the gas stop at 11:30am if I knew we were going to travel another 90 minutes before eating something. ) We found a really sweet little park to have our lunch and this sweet little old lady asked us if we wanted to come in for iced tea. Who says we look like scary bikers??? We declined, which hindsight might have been bad because we had to PEE!

Whatever, we headed out and the ride got really outstanding- long, slopey turns around Blue Mesa Lake.  Did I mention that the Colorado was a fat river?? Whoa nelly!

We headed into Gunnison, CO and perched in the KOA campground where we met some folks on BMWs from WI enjoying all CO has to offer. Nice!

And now I find that Gosh is feeding me steak, so I must go and see what that is all about.

Signing off!

And for those of you who are writing responses, THANKS! We love reading them! 

4 comments:

  1. Haven't been to that part of Col. but have friends in Montrose who used to live in Truckee..they keep asking when were coming thru there. I also have a neice in Gunnison. Have to get there for sure. Love your pictures ..nice touch. Can't wait til day four. How many days are you planning to take or is time not a factor! Have more fun. R and No-pain Gunslinger

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two scary? In or out of biker garb neither of you are scary...that made me laugh. lol...You guys smile and you are adorable.
    Checked in on the home front...some netting blew off the front garden but we fixed it all up. :-) Love the pics! I have been to those parts of UT & CO and it is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rony, you will LOVE Gunnison! Lots of good riding! We met a lady today who told us to ride through Black Canyon Mesa... sounds like a good one!

    Vikkie, thanks for your help with the house! It really makes us feel confident about being away so long.

    More next time!

    ReplyDelete